United States is an extremely important export market of Vietnam for lately years and Vietnam is currently enjoying many benefits…
Trademark registration in Europe
The European Union (EU) is a common economic, political, and monetary community consisting of 28 member states. EU has long been one of Vietnam’s important export markets. In the context of international economic integration, especially after Vietnam and the European Union (EU) signed a Free Trade Agreement (EVFTA), the registration of trademarks in Europe became an indispensable need of Vietnamese enterprises when they want to invest in this market. So how is the registration procedure in Europe done? The following InvestOne Law Firm will introduce the procedures and procedures for trademark registration in the EU as follows:
1. About CTM registration system
European countries have built a standard legal system that applies to all member countries. As a result, the registration of trademarks is also through its own system, completely independent of the countries in the community. Trademarks registered through this system are called community trademarks or CTM (short for Community Trade Mark).
When registering a trademark through the CTM registration system, the trademark owner only has to submit a single trademark application, the trademark may be protected in all EU countries. However, if the trademark is rejected or lapsed in a member country, it is also invalidated throughout the community. Now, if the owner still wants to register a trademark in other countries, there are 2 options:
- Transfer the CTM application form into multiple separate applications for each country. The application filing date is still counted as the CTM filing date.
- Since the CTM registration system is independent of each country’s own system, the trademark owner can freely apply for a CTM trademark, or apply for a national, or both. The CTM trademark and national registration mark can exist in parallel.
Agency receiving CTM applications: European Union Intellectual Property Office (European Union Intellectual Property Office). The old name was The Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM for short) based in Spain.
2. Documents required for filing a trademark application in the EU
- CTM application form;
- Information of the applicant;
- Sample of trademark;
- List of goods and services to be registered;
- Authorization letter;
- Fees and charges.
3. Trademark validity
CTM brand is valid for 10 years from the filing date and can be renewed many times in a row, every 10 years. When renewing, the owner only has to pay the renewal fee without having to submit proof of use of the trademark.
4. Trademark registration service under CTM system of InvestOne
- Preliminary advice on registration of trademark protection in Europe;
- Look up & evaluate the possibility of registering trademark protection;
- Track application status for customers;
- Respond to official letters and notices from the trademark registration agency;
- Handling violations of trademark protection;
- Advise to implement other legal procedures if the Customer needs.
Customers can contact InvestOne for detailed advice on procedures for trademark registration in Europe. Email: email@example.com or Tel: 024 3224 2476.