Industrial design registration is an important part of intellectual property, which is also an inevitable trend of developing countries like…
1. The legal basis:
- Intellectual Property Law (No. 50/2005/QH11 of November 29, 2005); supplemented and amended under Law No. 36/2009/QH12 of June 19, 2009;
- The Government’s Decree No. 103/2006/ND-CP of September 22, 2006, detailing and guiding the implementation of a number of articles of the 2005 Vietnam IP Law on industrial property; supplemented and amended under Decree No. 122/ND-CP dated December 31, 2010;
- Circular No. 01/2007/TT-BKHCN of February 14,2007 guiding the implementation of the Government’s Decree No. 103/2006/ND-CP; supplemented and mended on Circular No. 13/2010/TT-BKHCN of July 30, 2010 and Circular No. 18/2011/TT-BKHCN of July 22, 2011.
- Circular No. 263/TT-BTC of November 14, 2016 stipulating the rates, collection, remittance, management and use of intellectual property charges and fees.
2. Requisite documents:
- Application form;
- Specification, Claims, abstract and drawings (if any);
- Power of Attorney;
- Related documents.
3. Time frame:
- Formality examination: 01 month from the filing date;
- Publication: in the 19th month from the priority date or filing date (if there is no priority date) of in 02 months from the date of formality acceptance.
- Substantive examination: 18 months from the publication date (if a request for substantive examination is filed before the publication date) or from the request date (if a request for substantive examination is filed after the publication date);
- The validity term of a Patent on Invention is 20 years and of a Patent on Utility Solution is 10 years from the filing date.